Conceptis Forums

Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List 

Family accounts?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzles and Kids >> Family accounts? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Family accounts? - 3/28/2010 4:58:44 PM   
ginhart

My 5-year-old has recently shown interest in Link-a-pix puzzles and I have started allowing him to work on these under my account. However, I would really like to set up his own access under my account so he can access appropriate puzzles on his own but controlled by me (I purchase them and place them on his "My Conceptis" access page). Does anyone else think this is a worthwhile addition to Conceptis' account management? My primary concern is that he is too young to manage an account on his own (he already purchased a puzzle too hard for him and that I would not want to do when I left the room briefly). Is there some other method you are using to support a child's interest in puzzling?
Post #: 1
RE: Family accounts? - 4/2/2010 4:21:43 AM   
GreatGram

"Family accounts" are a great idea! A parent would have the control over the expenditure, and the child could have the freedom of choice. How about "school accounts", with the teacher controlling the cost and the children feeling free to choose the puzzles within the teacher's limitations? Conceptis should encourage children's familiarity with these types of puzzles. After all, they are the future supporters of Conceptis publication. 

(in reply to ginhart)
Post #: 2
RE: Family accounts? - 4/24/2010 8:30:20 AM   
jordanbrown

According to the FAQ, you're not allowed to let your children, spouse, or dog play "your" puzzles:

quote:

Q: How long can I play a puzzle after I buy it?
A: By purchasing puzzles, Conceptis grants you a license to use them on a personal basis for as long as this website exists. You can print and play online as many times as you want but you may not forward or provide puzzles to others in any format or allow any other person to log in and play under your username.

I have a similar situation - my wife and I both like the puzzles, and our kids like some of them, and we might occasionally have a friend visiting, and it appears that we would need to have separate accounts and pay separately for each of us.

While I completely understand Conceptis's need to make money and the problems associated with "sharing" licensed property like these puzzles, "one person" doesn't seem like the right limitation - perhaps "one household".

(in reply to ginhart)
Post #: 3
RE: Family accounts? - 4/24/2010 10:04:23 AM   
dave

Hi jordanbrown

Good point! Of course sharing within the same household is no problem (and even encouraged) but we don't know how to phrase it. Anyone with ideas?

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to jordanbrown)
Post #: 4
RE: Family accounts? - 4/27/2010 3:50:20 AM   
jordanbrown

I am not a lawyer, but I would personally consider wording along the lines of "you and your household" to be adequate. There's some gray there, but that's probably OK - you probably don't care whether they give an occasional puzzle to Grandma, or whether or not Junior can use the account when he's off at college; what you want to be able to take action on are the egregious cases, and you want it to be clear that it's not OK to pass puzzles around to all of your friends.

Now as it happens, I am personally satisfied with your assurance that use inside my family is OK.

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 5
RE: Family accounts? - 4/27/2010 11:01:29 PM   
dave

Hi jordanbrow

Sounds like a simple and reasonable way to phrase it. We'll discuss this internally and hopefully you'll see some change soon:)

Thanks, Dave

Post #: 6
RE: Family accounts? - 5/2/2010 7:17:19 PM   
GreatGram

"You and your household" sounds good. "You and your family" sounds better. After all, Conceptis wants to encourage children to learn how to solve these puzzles, and not all children live in one's household. What about grandchildren using printed puzzles? The more popular the puzzles, the more Conceptis will sell to publishers.

By the way, what would Conceptis do if somebody violates their rules? Prosecution for violating a rule about something that sells for twenty cents is not worth even thinking about. Revoking the privilege to buy it might be appropriate. And how would Conceptis detect a violation?

Thank you for making these available at a reasonable price.

from GreatGram

(in reply to dave)
Post #: 7
RE: Family accounts? - 5/3/2010 7:10:59 AM   
jordanbrown

If I were them (and I'm not), I would regard "household" pretty flexibly - for these purposes, I'd say that people who are in your house at the moment are, for the moment, members of your household.

As for enforcement, my guess is that there are two reasons for having an explicit license:  guidance for people who are willing to live by the rules, and a means for legal action for egregious violators.  Pretty much, they have no way of detecting minor violations.

It needs to be clear that it's not OK to reprint their puzzles, and that it's not OK to give your username and password to all of your friends.  Beyond that, it should be flexible; I don't think reasonable people would disagree much on any particular situation.

I don't know how lawyers would feel about it, but maybe simple plain English like that is appropriate, leaving gray cases to a judgment and conscience call.  Maybe give examples of what would and would not be acceptable.  It's not as crisp as one might like, but the cases where you'd like to take legal action should be reasonably clearly disallowed.

(in reply to GreatGram)
Post #: 8
RE: Family accounts? - 5/3/2010 8:55:52 AM   
lekahe

This is a really puzzling thread to me!

ginhart, how would that separate area work? A different password?
If the kid is able to play puzzles, I think he is old enough to understand what he is allowed to do. If he does not care about your instructions, how could it be prevented that he will not be using your main account?

The only solution I could think of is a separate account where you add only small amounts of credits so that he can't afford the harder puzzles.

The second part of the discussion, what is allowed and what is not, is even more confusing.
Actually printing puzzles is not an issue within the family or the household. It is not even an issue with friends in school or work place. Printing an passing on occasional puzzles to strangers is the best thing you can do FOR Conceptis. People get hooked up with the puzzles easily.

The main problem would be online playing and I could not even imagine a situation where I let someone else play my puzzles on My Conceptis. Family or not, I want to keep my puzzles mine. I would buy credits for all the family members but not let them play.

The restrictions are made mostly for digital materials. It is not allowed to pass on puzzles by printing them in another format and sending them by e-mail. It is also not allowed to print puzzles on paper and sell the puzzles to other people.

The future of copyright in the age of technology is very scary! All the rules schools should follow nowadays create a huge mess and I just wonder how many people follow these rules or even know about them.

Use common sense! What has happened to the sense of right and wrong?

Leena

Post #: 9
RE: Family accounts? - 5/3/2010 10:23:45 AM   
jordanbrown

Read the terms of use.  I quoted part of the FAQ in my first posting.  As written, it's really quite clear - only you may use the puzzles, period.

Netflix has a pretty good "subaccount" mechanism.  I use it to let my son have his own queue, drawn from my quota, with rating-based limits.  I'm not suggesting that Conceptis go to that extent, but it's an interesting thought.  (Limit by type of puzzle, limit by difficulty of puzzle.)

Common sense is good, but license agreements are usually written in concrete terms, so that if you ever have to pursue legal action the situation is as clear-cut as possible.  As I've said, I think there's a lot of latitude in this case for flexibility, but that's somewhat unusual for such agreements.

(in reply to lekahe)
Post #: 10
RE: Family accounts? - 5/3/2010 7:32:11 PM   
ironsun254

Maybe you could add the option of a password requirement before a puzzle could be purchased?  I would prevent other members of your household from using up your credits without your permission but give them full access to all purchased puzzles and it would give you control over what they spend their credits on.

Post #: 11
RE: Family accounts? - 5/6/2010 6:24:41 PM   
ginhart

I like the way that GameTap handles family accounts. We have a primary account that provides the payments for the subscriptions. Under that primary account, I am allowed several subordinate accounts who are authorized users. In these subordinate accounts, if the user is identified as under 18, I have the ability to restrict what access that account has to specific types of games or age-appropriate games. Obviously, puzzles are all age-appropriate, so the limitation might be on types of puzzles, difficulty of puzzles, individual game costs, or number of games per week. Or maybe the account can only see individual puzzles purchased by the primary account holder and assigned to that account. I do not and would not give out my login information to anyone, even my own family, so supporting subordinate, non-purchasing accounts provides individual account control and parental control of spending for minors.

(in reply to lekahe)
Post #: 12
RE: Family accounts? - 5/6/2010 8:18:00 PM   
jordanbrown

So far in sharing an account with my wife the biggest problem is that there's no distinction as to who solved what.  This causes two problems:  how do you know which puzzles you haven't solved, and (for the picture puzzles) how do you avoid a spoiler when you want to solve a puzzle that your partner has already solved?  (Yes, you can have each person reset the puzzle after solving it, but then you don't have a record that you've solved it.)

(in reply to ginhart)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PUZZLE FANS] >> Puzzles and Kids >> Family accounts? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote